Butternut squash is a mild-tasting vegetable that is rich in Vitamin A and popular among kids. This flavorful combination tastes great warm or cold. Calculate this recipe to the desired ratio using about the same amount of coconut milk as squash; 1gm of Curry Powder per serving (2gm for stronger flavor); and 5-15gm of raw onion per serving depending on carbohydrate restriction. We used Spice Island brand Curry Powder which is very aromatic but not spicy hot.
- Butternut squash - cooked
- Coconut milk (not low-fat)
- Curry powder
- Onions - raw
- Olive oil
- Bake a butternut squash; cut it down the middle then scoop out the strings and seeds. Turn both pieces face down on a foil covered baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. You can also cook cut the flesh into chunks and microwave until soft.
- Sautee raw onions in olive oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add cooked squash, coconut milk and curry powder and mix well with a silicone spatula, mashing squash into liquids.
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat to blend flavors. Water may be added for thinner consistency. Soup may be refrigerated for 2 days or frozen.