Chicken Vegetable Soup
Variations of chicken soup recipes were submitted by several readers and were combined into a base recipe that can be easily modified. Soups are a great way to introduce vegetables to children who are not accustomed to eating them since they are more mellow tasting after simmering in broth. A pinch of a dried herb may be added for flavor such as Thyme or Sage. If you are preparing steamed fresh vegetables for other meals, remember to freeze the extras for soup that you will make in the future. Similarly, you can freeze small portions of roasted meat or poultry too.
- Butter, Olive or other oils
- Raw vegetables finely chopped such as celery, broccoli, spinach, onions, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, squash, peppers (use at least 2 or more)
- Chicken dark meat - no skin - cooked - finely chopped
- Broth, Swanson Chicken 99% fat-free- canned
- Optional: salt and pepper
- Additonal ingredients that may be added: Shiratake Miracle Noodles, cream, cheese (after step 5)
- Place butter or oil in small saucepan and heat until just beginning to sizzle.
- Add chopped fresh vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add chopped chicken (or other meat) and continue sautéing to allow fat to absorb for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth then stir occasionally.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper and a dried herb if desired such as Thyme, Sage or Basil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.